Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Carp-Forum » Tackle Discussion

Post subject: Scales........
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:24 am 

Since losing my JRC Reubens, I think leaving them behind at Waggoners, I have been struggling with scales. I was in the market for digitals and (don’t ask why) purchased some Grandslam ones for £20. Ok, but they weigh in pounds OR ounces!! So when roach fishing a fish of 1lb 13oz was 29oz and I had to do the maths. Likewise, any carp would be weighed on pounds and a fish of 9.9lb had to also be worked out, a real pain.

I have been trawling the net and reading reviews and decided that digitals aren’t for me, hence I have just ordered some new Korda Reubens, thought it best to stick with what I know work.

So what do you guys use?

Post subject: Re: Scales........
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:33 am 
Other Species MOD
Other Species MOD

Good call Stu aa)

I used to work in labs and looked after digital scales, they are very temperamental things and even when kept in controlled conditions can vary in accuracy in no time at all, it is quite possible that you could test them and find them perfectly accurate at home and a few days later they be out when on the bank, temperature change is an issue also when they go wrong it is likley to be a major thing, then of course you have the possiblility of batteries failing.

Reubons for carping and Avons for smaller species are my choice

Post Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:04 am 
Life Time Member!
Life Time Member!

Reuben dials for carp, and reuben flywieght thingies for everything else.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:06 am 
C-F Member (100+posts)
C-F Member (100+posts)

I have some Korum digital scales and a recent review got them the outstanding value award and very close to peak performer over three different weights tested. weigh in metric an imperial - if you are a tackle tart then they are not for you I guess but Scales dont catch you fish at the end of the day, only issue is no back light on them but who fishes without a light on their head in the dark lol :wink:

Post Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:23 am 
C-F Member (100+posts)
C-F Member (100+posts)

Using Reuben digitals myself but I'm not too fussed over ounces or grammes whatever so they're fine by me.If a fish is 20 and a bit,it's a twenty, if it's 19 and a lot it's a 19,that's it.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:34 pm 
C-F Member (100+posts)
C-F Member (100+posts)

I've got RH Specimen Hunters, I like the needle to go round twice for a 30 hh) They are the second set after some oik pilfered my old ones on a park lake.
Never felt the need to have digital scales and like ung-pini the extra ounces aren't important they just confirm the big number, athough I did get obsessed with the ounces when I couldn't break the 20lb barrier
...n-n-n-n-n-n-nineteen 12oz.13oz.14oz......15!!!!!!! 8987(( rotfl: :roll:

Post Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:41 pm 
Life Time Member!
Life Time Member!

Black reubons 60lb x2oz

Post Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:58 pm 
C-F Member (100+posts)
C-F Member (100+posts)

I use reubens 60x1oz, although I'm looking at getting some digi's, as they're smaller, and lighter, would be interested if anyone could tell me the size of the Korum digitals or the Reuben heaton sportscale 9000's as these do proper pounds and ounces, and not silly decimal ounces, or if anyone knows of small dials that go to 50+ I'd be interested to hear.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:29 pm 
Life Time Member!
Life Time Member!

I use a set of Chub Digital scales and compared them to dial scales, and every weight has been the same on both, so I can't fault the Chub ones.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:47 pm 

Bernie74 wrote:
I use a set of Chub Digital scales and compared them to dial scales, and every weight has been the same on both, so I can't fault the Chub ones.

Do you have Carp ones as well???

Post Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:14 pm 
Life Time Member!
Life Time Member!

The Sweetcorn Kid wrote:
Bernie74 wrote:

Do you have Carp ones as well???

Lol rotfl: lol rotfl: lol rotfl:

Post Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:15 pm 
C-F Member (100+posts)
C-F Member (100+posts)

Comic genius!

Post Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:19 pm 
C-F Member (100+posts)
C-F Member (100+posts)

Classical! rotfl:

In other news - My Korum digi scales fit in an old beanie hat within a padded reel case.
Nice and compact which suits me...

Post Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:27 pm 
Life Time Member!
Life Time Member!

Bernie74 wrote:

Are you sure though, given Thomo's comments and bearing in mind he worked in a lab fixing and testing them?

Thomo wrote:
I used to work in labs and looked after digital scales, they are very temperamental things and even when kept in controlled conditions can vary in accuracy in no time at all, it is quite possible that you could test them and find them perfectly accurate at home and a few days later they be out when on the bank, temperature change is an issue

I used to have a set of fox digis and when i tested them directly against a set of Reuben dials in a real situation (i.e fish on the bank), sometimes they were fine and sometimes they were anything up to a pound out on a number of fish varying from upper doubles to low 20's, so i flogged them.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:58 pm 
Life Time Member!
Life Time Member!

If you really want an accurate weight of the fish you catch - don't buy digitals!

Post Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:18 pm 
C-F Member (100+posts)
C-F Member (100+posts)

Beg to differ in my opinion. Plenty of times I have seen shaking dial scales and people best guessing what number they think the needle is bouncing between. even between a few ounces shows the inaccuracies of both dial and digital.

I chose Korum digital as it was reviewed as a near perfect peak performer across 3 weights and was outstanding value.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:37 pm 
Life Time Member!
Life Time Member!

rusty dan wrote:
Beg to differ in my opinion. Plenty of times I have seen shaking dial scales and people best guessing what number they think the needle is bouncing between. even between a few ounces shows the inaccuracies of both dial and digital.

I chose Korum digital as it was reviewed as a near perfect peak performer across 3 weights and was outstanding value.

Ive seen this loads of times with dialed scales, even on the good old fishing programs on discovery, it makes me laugh when one persons holding the scales with the fish in a weigh sling and another persons trying his best to see a shaking dial needle, and everytime its " Ill give you a certain weight " at the best of times.
If alot of you are saying digital aint accurate, then why do they make them, and why in this day and age say digital is the way forwards.
Is it that some swear by Dialed scales because thats all they use and wont make that leap to using digital (set in there ways) ????

Post Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:51 pm 
Life Time Member!
Life Time Member!

I have never owned a set of digitals but everything i have heard about them from friends is negative therefore why would i bother to buy some when my Reubans work well?

Post Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:53 pm 
Events Admin
Events Admin

The Sweetcorn Kid wrote:
So what do you guys use?

I use a set of Reuben Heaton Scales (with the George Cross on them)

Got them from the wife for a birthday a few years ago ab) ab)

English by birth. Southern by the Grace of God

Post Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:55 pm 
Other Species MOD
Other Species MOD

Your confusing accuracy with reliability in some respects, digi's can like I said early vary in accuracy randomly, they may be fine one day and out the next, fine in 20 degree's C and out at 0 degree's C, or they may be fine consistently, there lies the possible problem.

On average there is more to go wrong with digitals, they are more likely to go wrong, and if they do go wrong it could be very inconsistently. Spring balances tend to err on a linear scale and so are more predictable

Either way if you are that bothered about what your fish weigh its a good idea to check your scales regularly, maybe monthly for spring balances and, lets say daily for digi's..... :wink: :lol:

Post Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:06 pm 
Life Time Member!
Life Time Member!

I have the JRC Reubens I think, the 2oz division ones.

Watching the needle bounce and finally settle is ace, no digis can ever do that.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:46 am 
C-F Member (100+posts)
C-F Member (100+posts)

I can settle this - seems a few have a problem with accepting digital scales or just blurb a whole post about their personal issue with them without backed up evidence..

A few weeks time from now I will be fishing with my CHEAP Dodgy unreliable Korum Scales against a mates dials and on that occasion we can test and see how bad modern technology is compared to old skool!

I will of course hold my hands up as a grown man and admit I was wrong if the dials win hh)

Post Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:41 am 
Life Time Member!
Life Time Member!

rusty dan wrote:
I can settle this - seems a few have a problem with accepting digital scales or just blurb a whole post about their personal issue with them without backed up evidence..

I wrote:
I used to have a set of fox digis and when i tested them directly against a set of Reuben dials in a real situation (i.e fish on the bank), sometimes they were fine and sometimes they were anything up to a pound out on a number of fish varying from upper doubles to low 20's, so i flogged them.

:idea:

Post Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:49 am 
Other Species MOD
Other Species MOD

rusty dan wrote:

A few weeks time from now I will be fishing with my CHEAP Dodgy unreliable Korum Scales against a mates dials and on that occasion we can test and see how bad modern technology is compared to old skool!

I will of course hold my hands up as a grown man and admit I was wrong if the dials win hh)

No that won't prove a thing, try reading my posts again :wink:

It all about the potential for them to go wrong

Post Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:56 am 
Life Time Member!
Life Time Member!

Digi or dials....make not a blind bit of differnce if there not serviced and more importantly calibrated on a regular basis.

Catch a record fish and its one of the first thing they do.....Ask if your scales are calibrated/hold a upto date certificate and even then they take em to check em.

Personally I look no further than my rubens and there aftersales service is to die for :wink: :wink:

kind regards Jeff

Post Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:12 am 
Life Time Member!
Life Time Member!

rusty dan wrote:

Dan.I would be interested to know what 'backed up evidence you would accept. from the comments on here. I imagine some way of transporting you back in time and location to where Thomo tested them at work or mark did a direct comparison?

As such, for your experiment, what time can I expect the driver to arrive? hh)

Last edited by Sundance on Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:13 am 
C-F Member (100+posts)
C-F Member (100+posts)

Thomo wrote:

And that is no different to any set of scales is it?? I dont get your thinking on how one is more reliable than the other.. be it accuracy or reliability

Post Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:15 am 
C-F Member (100+posts)
C-F Member (100+posts)

P1mark wrote:
rusty dan wrote:

I wrote:

:idea:

Good point P1 but why were the digitals not reading the correct weight? Is it because the dials were Reuben's?? So they have to be right!?

Post Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:42 pm 
Other Species MOD
Other Species MOD

rusty dan wrote:
Thomo wrote:

And that is no different to any set of scales is it?? I dont get your thinking on how one is more reliable than the other.. be it accuracy or reliability

You really haven't read what I posted have you mate, I worked with a lot digital and spring balance scales for a good number of years and I know for a fact that digitals are more temperamental and that was under laboratory conditions, take them out in the wet, cold, heat and they will be affected more so.

It is entirely possible that you might have a set of digi's that are perfect throughout their life, it is also possible that you might have a spring balance which is out but there is a far greater risk with the electronic version and also the likelihood of inconsistency, they could be fine one day and the next week be out, if a spring balance is out of calibration then it is more likely to remain out by a consistent amount

Post Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:23 pm 
Life Time Member!
Life Time Member!

rusty dan wrote:

Pressume your talking about me bud..This is providing we catch some fish :lol:

Post Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:27 pm 
Life Time Member!
Life Time Member!

nd providing that fish is weighed on some calibtated certificated scales first. otherwise how are you going to know which of your scales is correct?

take some weightlifting weights, stick them in a pillow case and weigh them might be better? dont need a fish then either. :D

Post Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:45 pm 
Other Species MOD
Other Species MOD

You can check your scales to a reasonable level of accuracy using bags of sugar, there will be soem small variance in weight per bag but nothing relevant to the numbers we're talking about unless the bags split, 1kg is 2lb 3 1/1oz's, ideally you need to check at several weights across the balances range which means you need a sweet tooth!

A better weigh is to use water but you first need to make sure that you can accurately measure one litre, its no good using a one litre pop bottle you need better than that, a measuring jug would do but make sure you get it right as a small error at one litre will multiply up as you increse the weight. A litre of water weighs 1kg, tare off (zero) your balance with a container on and add a litre of water at a time recording the reading.

Just because you find that your scales are accurate when you test them doesn't mean that they will always be so, in an industrial environment they would probably be tested weekly for example.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:11 pm 
Life Time Member!
Life Time Member!

I measure my carp in hand spans these days, can't afford new scales :(

Post Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:14 pm 
Other Species MOD
Other Species MOD

'ands like shovels :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:18 pm 
Life Time Member!
Life Time Member!

Thomo wrote:
'ands like shovels :mrgreen:

I thought i just had a little hampton :D

Post Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:31 pm 
Other Species MOD
Other Species MOD

That n'all duck :(

Post Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:39 pm 
Life Time Member!
Life Time Member!

Reuben Heaton are local to me, and i come across a guy who has worked there as a production manager for donkeys years pretty regularly on the bank. As Reuben sell both dials and digis these days i will ask him what he uses the next time i see him.

I have one question for the digi lovers though. Match angling - where a correct, accurate, reliable wieght is a must - What kind of scales do they use almost exclusively?

Post Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:44 pm 
C-F Member (100+posts)
C-F Member (100+posts)

I'm interested to know how the digitals pick a weight to display, if someone is weighing a fish on dials that's bouncing between 25.14 and 26.02, then I myself would call 26lb, it stands to reason that the fisherman would be shacking as much with the digitals, so do the digitals display 25.14 26 or 26.02 or simply whichever value it happens to be on after a set amount of time.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:49 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

I have used Ruebens for a few years now, I always use a weigh pole (like a shepherds crook. This helps to negate the bounce of the needle which is always exaggerated by shaking hands or arms.
One other thing to consider when holding scales especially the Rueben type, is not to hold the scales from underneath, however easier it may be. This gives a false reading. They are designed to be used hanging from the ring at the top. It amazes me how many people do this without realising they are weighing wrongly.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:02 pm 
C-F Member (100+posts)
C-F Member (100+posts)

I use a set of Avons myself, serve me well and appear to be rather accurate (accuratre enough for me anyway).

Post Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:22 am 
Life Time Member!
Life Time Member!

Someone asked about the size of the Reuben 9000 digital they are very light and about 8 inches long although not measured they come in a case with T bar attached, just replaced my Reuben 60lb x 2oz as I do a lot of small species specimen hunting now and these almost fit in my pocket and are more practical for stalking/oving. Actuacy on the bank who knows tried them on fixed weight items in doors and they are fine, suppose if I had a record fish I might be asked the temperature I weighed it in ( only jesting ).

But as i say replaced the big round ones, I can still hang these on my tripod, if I use my Fox hook then they are side on but again not a real probelm.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:53 am 
Administrator
Administrator

I have used all manner of scales and I must admit I thought my old Avons were the business... trouble is I don't have them anymore and I don't know where they went... I probably gave them away! :cry:

I now use the Fox Digi's and they are calibrated by a very well known F1 team during the close season, I remove the batteries between sessions, take spare batteries just in case they read/look a bit funny when I begin to use them.

Scales, like all other items of tackle, should be looked after. I rarely have issues with them and I know that they are very accurate if used correctly, I can weigh my fish with a great deal of confidence.

Scales are scales, use what you feel suit you best, and for me the Fox digi's are great scales.

Richard thumbsup:

Post Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:54 pm 
Life Time Member!
Life Time Member!

Richard Crimp wrote:
I have used all manner of scales and I must admit I thought my old Avons were the business... trouble is I don't have them anymore and I don't know where they went... I probably gave them away! :cry:
Richard thumbsup:

Probably in LJs shed somewhere Rich :wink: :wink: rotfl: rotfl:

kind regards Jeff

Board index » Carp-Forum » Tackle Discussion